EAST STROUDSBURG, Pa. (Feb. 2, 2019) – On Saturday, the USMMA women's track & field team competed in the 20th Annual DeSchriver Invitational, hosted by East Stroudsburg University. Freshman Breanna Frank (Sidney, Mont.) highlighted the Mariners' performances when she set a new Academy Record in the pole vault.
Frank cleared a height of 2.60m (8' 6.25"), which bested the old school record of 2.44m, set back in 2005. The rookie came in ninth place in the event.
Junior Alexa Vandermeer (Grove Heights, Minn.) nearly set a new Academy Record in the 600 meter run with a time of 1:46.38, but fell just 14-hundreths of a second shy of the 1:46.24 mark set back in 2013. Vandermeer placed seventh in the 600m, one of two top-20 finishes for the junior, as she was also 20th in the 55m dash with a time of 8.03.
The following Mariners also recorded top-20 finishes on the day.
- Freshman Robin King (Raymond, Ohio) placed second in the mile (5:34.22), which was Merchant Marine's best finish of the day.
- Freshman Brooke Jorstad (La Crosse, Wis.) came in sixth in the mile (5:45.68) and 13th in the 800m (2:43.40).
- Freshman Anna Grafton (Belmont, N.H.) placed ninth in the mile (5:50.56).
- Senior Kelsey Ramirez (Stevensville, Mich.) came in 12th in the 600m (1:54.98).
- Junior thrower Ally McFadyen (Saint James, N.Y.) placed 12th in the weight throw (11.40m – 37' 5") and 17th in the shot put (9.07m – 29' 9.25").
- Freshman Madison Reddick (Baker, Mont.) came in 18th in the 400m (1:12.23).
Up next, the Mariners will compete in Yale University's Giegengack Invitational next Saturday, Feb. 9, up in New Haven, Conn. More information on the meet will be posted on the USMMA Women's Track & Field Schedule Page later this week.
Receive USMMA Women's Track & Field News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's track & field team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Women's Track & Field E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!