KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Jan. 23, 2019) – On Monday, the Skyline Conference announced that USMMA freshman Lauren Hunter (Tinley Park, Ill.) was selected as its women's basketball Rookie of the Week for the week ending Jan. 20, while junior Kaleigh D'Arcy (White Plains, N.Y.) landed on the weekly honor roll. The accolades come after the duo's performances in the Mariners' two wins last week at home over Farmingdale State on Tuesday and on the road at St. Joseph's-Brooklyn on Saturday.
Hunter averaged 14.0 points and 17.0 rebounds in the two games. On Tuesday, she scored 15 points and brought down a career-high 23 rebounds, before finishing up the week with a 13-point, 11-rebound effort on Saturday.
D'Arcy led the Mariners with 15.0 points per game over the two wins. She scored 13 on Tuesday, while also dishing out four assists, and finished the week with a game-high 17 points to go along with six rebounds on Saturday.
For the complete release from the Skyline Conference, click here.
Hunter continues to rank high among all Division III players in numerous categories. Her 12 total double-doubles rank ninth in the country, while her 13.1 total rebounds per game is good for 12th. Her 5.0 offensive boards per game rank 13th and her 8.0 defensive rebounds per game rank 24th. She is the 28th ranked sharp-shooter in the nation with a .556 shooting percentage, her 184 total rebounds ranks 33rd and her 19.1 points per game are good for 34th.
As a team, the Mariners rank in the top-20 in the nation in 11 categories listed below.
- They are the national leaders in two categories – scoring defense in holding opponents to 43.2 points per game and opponents' field-goal percentage (29.0%).
- Second in the country with a +15.9 rebound margin
- Fourth in the nation in four categories – fewest fouls (160), personal fouls per game (11.4) and offensive rebounds per game (19.0)
- Sixth in the country with 50.14 total rebounds per game
- 10th in the nation with 5.8 blocked shots per game
- 11th in the country in keeping opponents to a 23.7% three-point field-goal percentage
- 13th in the nation with a 92.9 win-loss percentage
- and 19th in the country with 31.0 defensive rebounds per game
For Merchant Marine's complete NCAA Statistical Rankings, follow this link. (Note: Team rankings are on page one and individual rankings are on page two.)
The Mariners are back in action tonight, Jan. 23, when they play host to Skyline Conference opponent Sarah Lawrence beginning at 5:30 p.m. at the Liebertz Gym. Live stats and a live video feed of the game will be available with links on the USMMA Women's Basketball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Women's Basketball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's basketball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Basketball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!