KINGS POINT, N.Y. (April 22, 2018) – The USMMA men's track & field team hosted the annual Coach Omeltchenko Invitational at Brooks Stadium on Senior Day Sunday. Prior to the meet, the Mariners welcomed back one of Coach O's most decorated runners as a special guest, multiple program record holder and NCAA Qualifier and two-time All-American Chris Keane '87.
The program also paid tribute to its four graduating seniors with a special Senior Day ceremony honoring Ian Stoner (Glen Allen, Va.), Austin Haire (Ignacia, Colo.), Tyler Hartman (St. George, Utah) and Austin MacElrevey (Lewes, Del.).
The Mariners used the meet as head-to-head duals against CCNY and Lehman and swept both of the CUNYAC schools – defeating the Beavers, 86-79, and the Lightning, 98-72.
Merchant Marine had a total of 12 first and second place finishes at the event. They are listed below.
- MacElrevey came in first in two events – the 800 meter run (1:59.01) and the 5000 meter run (16:32.25)
- Freshman Ivan Goretoy (West Warwick, R.I.) also came in first in two events – the discus (38.85m) and the hammer (47.29m)
- Stoner came in first in the shot put (13.40m) and second in the discus (38.67m)
- Junior Ethan Pieper (Roseville, Calif.) came in first in the javelin (41.06m)
- In the same event, Hartman came in second (40.82m)
- Junior David Collins (North Kingstown, R.I.) came in second in the hammer (47.00m)
- Sophomore Michael Dobkowski (Merrick, N.Y.) came in second in the 1500 meter run (4:15.98)
- Freshman Christian Acevedo-Perez (Fort Knox, Ky.) came in second in the 400 meter dash (53.66)
- and sophomore Severin Blenkush (O'Fallon, Ill.) came in second in the 400 meter hurdles (1:00.70)
Up next, the Mariners will compete in the Skyline Conference Championship Meet, hosted by Farmingdale State College, next Sunday, April 29.
Receive USMMA Men's Track & Field News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's track & field team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Track E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!