KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Dec. 3, 2017) – This weekend, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's swimming & diving team competed at the TCNJ Invitational in New Jersey. The Mariners placed second out of six teams at the three-day event with a total of 664 points behind first-place hosts The College of New Jersey, which scored 1,489 points.
The USMMA swimmers had 11 top-eight finishes (A-Finals), while two divers combined for four top-three finishes. Freshman diver Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) recorded an NCAA qualifying score in the one-meter dive (11 dives), which means he needs to get one more qualifying mark on that board this season to officially qualify for the NCAA Regionals in early March.
Below are the Mariner swimmers' top-eight finishes.
- Freshman Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.) with three third-place showings in the 50 freestyle (21.89), the 200 free (1:45.70) and the 100 free (48.21)
- Freshman John Cairns (Durham, N.C.) with three, coming in sixth in the 1650 free (16:57.58), seventh in the 500 free (4:57.05) and eighth in the 200 backstroke (2:08.91)
- Freshman Jake Breschi (Perry Hall, Md.) with two, coming in fourth in the 200 butterfly (2:00.56) and fifth in the 1650 free (16:57.58)
- Sophomore Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) with a third-place finish in the 200 breaststroke (2:12.63)
- Freshman Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.) with a sixth-place finish in the 100 breast (1:00.79)
- And sophomore Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) with a sixth-place finish in the 100 back (55.38)
Below are the Mariner divers to finish in the top three.
- McMillan in three events, coming in second in the one-meter dive (six dives) with a score of 266.50 and third in both the three-meter dive (six dives) with a 258.50 and the one-meter dive (11 dives) with the NCAA qualifying score of 444.65.
- And freshman Calvin Kim (Bellevue, Wash.) with a third-place finish in the three-meter dive (11 dives) with a 313.25.
For the complete results from the TCNJ Invite, click here.
Up next, the Mariners will travel to Old Westbury on Friday night, Dec. 8, for a Skyline Conference meet against the Panthers. First event is scheduled for 5 p.m. at Old Westbury's Clark Athletic Center Pool.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!